Monday, May 23, 2011

Dammit!! The world did not end, gotta make that car payment after all…

To the three or four of you people who happen to be aware of this blog sorry for the somber tone of my rants. I have my moments from time to time but when you grow so skeptical of the world around you it is as I said before you see every blemish and sore and wart upon the world around you.
Nothing these days seem to be as crisp and clear as they should be.
So this am I am browsing through some stories and I find the following from the Huffington Post. It is clear that I am out of touch with the world around me, had no idea that the world was supposed to end on Saturday. Hell I was in bed anyway the middle of the afternoon sleeping away a beautiful afternoon. A combination of being too lazy to get my ass out of the house and the fact that even taking a joyride is very expensive these days. I am really tired of seeing gas stations as often as I do. In either case there is always an excuse not to participate in the world around us.

In my grim assessment of the world I have often said that the one thing needed to turn society around is to blow it all up and start over. Maybe that is why these doomsday folks may have been so giddy. Folks who are obsessed with the end of the world or other apocalyptic thinking as like yours truly are obsessively unhappy with life, full of regrets we can’t do a damn thing about, still believing that there is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow or that Jesus Christ himself is going to swoop down and rescue us from ourselves.

Believers and unbelievers alike have the same quandary regarding life. Believers devastatingly disappointed that Jesus isn’t paying attention to their prayers so their life on earth has become this exceedingly depressing purgatory. To the non-believers well those folks have accepted that they are on their own. My biggest problem these days is that I lack any measure of faith these days. I simply lack faith in human kind. Sure we tolerate each other but we seriously don’t give a shit about our fellow man in any way shape or form and it shows on the faces of seemingly everyone I glance at.

Having said all of that I’m glad the world did not end, there is one big thing that keeps me from totally going over the cliff. What that is does not matter but because of that glimmer of hope something that just may be able to heal a wounded and bitter heart and soul we all have to find that little piece inside ourselves that gives our lives purpose and meaning. Common sense tells us that when life is good you want it to go on as long as possible. Attempting to see the world in a more positive light and having a better outlook on life would give end of the world types something more meaningful to devote their time to.


May 21 'Judgment Day' Believers React To Being Alive On May 22 - Huffington Post

'Judgment Day' came and went on Saturday, and John Ramsey hasn't been able to sleep.

The 25-year-old Harrison, N.J. resident had rearranged his life in recent months to devote himself to spreading a fringe California preacher's prediction that May 21 would bring worldwide earthquakes and usher in a five-month period of misery before the world's destruction.

Like many of those convinced of the Rapture was pending, Ramsey quit his job, donated "a couple thousand" to Harold Camping's Family Radio network and convinced family members to join him to spread news of the Rapture on Manhattan streets.

His family nervously huddled in their apartment living room Saturday, holding their Bibles open, switching between CNN, Facebook and Google for news of quakes in the Pacific.

They cried. They hugged. They argued. But mostly, they waited. Nothing happened.

On Sunday, a dejected Ramsey said he faces a "mixed bag."

He has to find a new job. So does his mother. His 19-year-old brother, who had quit high school the year prior ("It's pointless to graduate," the brother had said), is thinking of re-enrolling or finding employment.
His wife, Marcia Paladines, had come to accept that she might never meet her unborn baby, whom she and Ramsey had named John Moses. Now, she's praying for a healthy birth. The child is due as early as Friday.

"Life goes on," Ramsey said Sunday. "I get to live. I get to be a dad."

The May 21 prediction came from the Biblical numerology of Harold Camping, an 89-year-old televangelist who owns the Oakland, Calif.-based Christian Family Radio network. Camping had previously predicted a similar end-times scenario in 1994.

Harold Camping 'flabbergasted'; rapture a no-show

2 comments:

E said...

Glad to see you back. I truly missed your unique perspective, plus the catchy blog title.

Gaius Lawrenitis Negris said...

Hey I appreciate that, I had to take a mental break. I found that I missed writing and how therapeutic it was. I’ll be hitting it hard in the coming weeks. I hope my old peeps will find me again, I miss em.

Peace Gaius